10 Aug 2011

Woman dead in recycling bin accident

8:30 am on 10 August 2011

A US coroner has found a woman in Ohio has died from asphyxiation after falling head first into a recycling bin.

Sheila Decoster, 62, was discovered by her husband on Friday, upside down in a 65 gallon (295 litre) plastic bin at her home in Toledo, Ohio.

She was clad in her pyjamas and her slippers were on a porch by the bin.

The BBC reports she is thought either to have lost her balance and fallen off a porch into the bin or fallen in while trying to retrieve an object.

Deputy coroner Diane Barnett said that Mrs Decoster perished of positional asphyxia, in which the placement of her body in the rubbish bin prevented her lungs from filling with air.

Dr Barnett told the BBC she had been standing over the bin on a porch that had no railing to obstruct her fall into the bin.

Richard Decoster, her husband of 43 years, told the Toledo Blade newspaper he returned home from the shops at about 5pm and saw his wife's leg sticking out of the bin.

''I shook her leg and called her name, and I knew she was gone,'' he told the newspaper.