Only five houses have been rebuilt since the Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria seven months ago.
More than 2000 houses were destroyed in the blazes, which swept across towns including Marysville and Kinglake on 7 February.
Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority chairwoman, Christine Nixon, told the Stateline programme on the ABC, that 800 building applications have been processed so far.
She said they were principally for sheds. But some applications were for houses.
Meanwhile, 400 counsellors are working to help residents deal with the loss of life and property.
Ms Nixon says residents are still coming to terms with their losses. She said it is the largest case work support system "ever put in place" in Australia.