24 Dec 2009

Australian girl saved from box jellyfish sting

8:49 pm on 24 December 2009

The family of an Australian girl who nearly died from a box jellyfish sting say that her life was saved by campers who poured vinegar over her.

Rachel Shardlow was stung while swimming in the Calliope River in central Queensland. She collapsed unconscious on the riverbank.

The ABC reports a group of quick thinking people camping nearby doused her in vinegar to stop more venom entering her system.

A box jellyfish can kill an adult in less than four minutes but the 10 year old has recovered so well she hopes to be out of hospital for Christmas