4 Jan 2012

Pair die after eating toxic mushrooms

3:55 pm on 4 January 2012

Two people have died after eating poisonous mushrooms at a New Year's Eve party in Canberra, Australia.

The victims had been waiting for liver transplants after eating the death cap mushroom, which looks very similar to a popular edible Chinese mushroom.

The deaths were confirmed by a spokesman for Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital on Wednesday, the ABC reports.

Naren Gunjan, a medical director of the New South Wales Poisons Information Centre, says the mushroom toxins caused their livers and kidneys to shut down.

Two other people ate the toxic mushrooms. One has been released from Canberra hospital, while the other is receiving treatment in Sydney.