Makes 1 and ¼ cups
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons chilli black bean sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- zest & juice of 2 fresh limes
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated or finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon toasted, crushed Szechuan pepper
Mix all the ingredients together and serve in a jug or small bowl with a teaspoon for drizzling over sliced barbecued beef, lamb or chicken. We like to serve the meat wrapped in large cos or iceberg lettuce leaves with fresh mint, coriander and Thai sweet basil.
Try the drizzle also with fresh raw oysters, steamed or pan-fried fish or tossed through quickly stir-fried vegetables, or chunks of hot, roasted pumpkin and kumara or root vegetables.