Asparagus and Black Garlic with Quinoa
Serves 4 as a starter or a side.
- 2/3 cup (110g) red quinoa seeds
- Salt flakes and cracked black pepper
- 100mL extra virgin olive oil plus a splash to serve
- 2 tablespoons Verjuice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 3 cloves black garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed and cut into thirds
- dozen or so nasturtium flowers
- 1 handful dill sprigs
1. Rinse the quinoa for a minute or so in a colander under cold running water, then drain. Place the quinoa, 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 cups 9500 ml) of water in a heavy-based saucepan over high heat and bring to a simmer. Stir, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and turn down the heat to low. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed, the quinoa is tender to bite and some of the quinoa have popped open and split.
2. Combine 4 tablespoons of olive oil with the verjuice, fennel and garlic to make a dressing. Use a fork to fold the dressing though the quinoa.
3. Preheat a grill-plate or char-grill pan over medium heat. Rub the asparagus with the remaining oil and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until the asparagus is a little blistered.
4. Divide the quinoa among plates and arrange the seared asparagus on top. Scatter with nasturtium flowers and dill. Add a splash of olive oil and some cracked black pepper to serve.