Avocados & Prawns with Lime & Tomato Salsa
Time to prep 25 minutes
Time to cook 5 minutes
- 2 medium vine tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 spring onion (white and pale green part only), trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 fresh hot red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 medium green (raw) prawns
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 ripe but firm avocados
1. Plunge tomatoes into a saucepan of gently boiling water and count to 10. Using a slotted spoon transfer tomatoes to a bowl of cold water and peel; if the tomatoes are hard to peel return them to the boiling water for a few more seconds. Quarter tomatoes, remove cores and flick out seeds. Dice flesh finely but don't add to salsa until just before serving.
2. In a bowl whisk together 3 tablespoons of avocado oil, lime juice, lime leaves, spring onion, chilli and salt.
3. If prawns are frozen, thaw them quickly in a sealed plastic bag immersed in a sink of warm water. Twist off their heads, then peel off shells, leaving the small piece of shell on the tail intact. Using a small sharp knife, slit down the back of each prawn and gently extract the red or black vein. Rinse prawns, then pat dry with paper towels.
4. Put turmeric and cumin on a plate and rub spices over prawns. Halve avocados and extract the stones. Put avocado halves on serving plates. Cook prawns on a preheated oiled barbecue hot plate over a medium heat for a few minutes a side until they change colour. Alternatively, cook prawns indoors in a hot ridged grill pan in 1 tablespoon of hot avocado or olive oil.
5. Add tomatoes to salsa ingredients and spoon into the cavities of the avocados. Top avocados with prawns. Serve immediately.