Beetroot Cured Salmon
- 1 salmon fillet, skin on, about 600g
- 2 medium beetroot, grated
- 100g sea salt
- 100g sugar
- 1 Tbl peppercorns
- 2 tbsp vodka
- 2 Tbl coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- small handful fresh dill
1. Pick out any small bones left in the salmon.
2. Crush the peppercorns, coriander seeds and fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle. Roughly chop the dill.
3. Combine the dill, grated beetroot, sea salt, sugar, ground spices and vodka in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Place a little of this, the curing mixture in a porcelain or glass baking dish, place the salmon skin-side down on top, and cover with the rest of the curing mixture.
4. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, weight down and refrigerate for 24 hours. Turn and refrigerate for a further 12 to 24 hours.
5. Remove the fish, rinse and pat dry. Slice finely and serve with sour cream sharpened with a little lemon and a pinch of chilli flake.