Bubur Ayam: Bali Chicken Porridge
(Serves 2 to 4)
- 100g chicken or half a chicken thigh
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised and tied into a knot
- 2 salam leaves (substitutes: curry or bay leaves)
- 1 large slice of turmeric
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- half a cup carrot, julienned
- 1 cup spinach or choi sum, washed and chopped coarsely into bite-size lengths
- 1 tbsp fried shallots
Chop the chicken into small pieces. If using a chicken thigh, leave it whole.
Put the rice, chicken, lemongrass, salam leaves, turmeric, water and salt in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to the boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the rice is soft and creamy, stirring occasionally. Add the carrot and simmer for a minute.
Stir in the spinach and turn off after 30 seconds. Set aside for 1 minute and then serve.
Garnish with fried shallots.