Cracked Wheat and Nut Tabbouleh with Pomegranate Syrup
- 1 cup cracked wheat
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup pistachio nuts, toasted
- 1 cup un-skinned almonds, toasted
- ½-1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup well-packed chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup (150 gram tub) pomegranate seeds
- ½ red onion, very thinly sliced
- a couple of handfuls of watercress leaves, optional
- pomegranate molasses dressing
- ¼-½ cup quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon ras-el-hanout
- grated rind one small lemon
- ¼ teaspoon prepared mustard
Place the cracked wheat in a wide bowl and pour over the boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes to reconstitute. Drain well and squeeze to remove any excess moisture.
Chop the nuts roughly, if using a food processor, use the pulse button to achieve a coarse chop. Place in a large bowl and toss with the cracked wheat, parsley, mint, pomegranate seeds and red onion.
Toss through the dressing and then season. If using the watercress, toss through the salad just before serving.