Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Blue Cheese and Toasted Almonds
- 2tbsp butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 3-4tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cauliflower, leaves removed and cut into small florets
- 1 cup cream
- salt and ground white pepper
- Your favourite blue cheese (I like Kikorangi Blue from Kapiti cheeses)
- whole toasted blanched almonds
- 4 tsp whipped cream
Melt the butter (no colour).
Add the onions and garlic and gently sauté until they become glassy and tender.
Sprinkle with the flour and stir in.
Add the stock and milk, a little bit at a time to avoid lumps.
Add the cauliflower and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the cauliflower becomes very soft.
Place the soup into a food processor or liquidiser and blend to a smooth, creamy soup.
Place the soup back into the pot and add the cup of cream.
Bring back to a simmer and cook out for about 3-4 minutes.
Adjust the seasoning with salt and white pepper.
Serve the soup into four plates.
Crumble as much blue cheese onto the soup as you desire.
Sprinkle each portion with a few toasted almonds and serve with a teaspoon of whipped cream on each.