- 200g fresh white fish fillets, minced
- ½ teaspoon mild chilli, finely chopped (add more or less as you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 spring onion bottoms, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 lime zest, grated
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 teaspoons corn-flour or arrowroot
- salt and white pepper
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soya oil
Place the fish, ¼ teaspoon of the chilli and all the remaining ingredients except the oils into a large mixing bowl.
With very clean hands, knead the mixture together to create a firm paste.
Add more, or less, corn-flour if it's too wet/soft or too firm. You should be able to form a 'patty' between your hands.
Heat the oils in a fry pan and add the remaining chilli, do not allow it to burn. Add each fishcake and cook until golden brown.
Depending on their size, they usually take about 4-5 minute per side. To test them, make a small incision into one of the cakes. They're cooked when the juice run reasonably clear opposed to cloudy or milky looking.
Serve with your favourite spicy dipping sauce. I recommend simply a sweet chilli sauce with extra chopped coriander and a squeeze of fresh lime juice in it.