Gluten free coconut & banana loaf
Modified from chelseawinter.co.nz
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 2 cups gluten-free plain flour (Zoë recommends Edmonds)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 big bananas)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 170c. Grease a medium sized loaf tin with non-stick baking spray. Line with baking paper if you want to.
Cream the butter and sugar until thick and pale. This takes about 5 minutes by hand or 2 minutes with an electric hand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
Sift the dry ingredients except coconut into a bowl, and stir in the coconut to combine. Add to the creamed mixture along with the banana and yoghurt and fold with spatula or wooden spoon until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for around an hour and 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Serve warm with butter and golden syrup or lemon curd.