Green Bean and Fennel Salad
- 500gm green beans, stalk end removed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic brushed
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced into thin strips
- ¼ cup verjuice or white wine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6 vine ripened tomatoes, seeded and cut into medium slices
- ¼ cup mixed herbs, chopped eg. basil, tarragon, dill, parsley, oregano
- 12 large firm green olives, flesh slivered from the store
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add the green beans. Cook until al dente, drain then refresh in iced water. Drain again and set aside. Place the oil in a large sauté pan and heat gently.
Add the anchovies and the garlic and allow the anchovies to melt into the oil.
Add the fennel and cook until just tender, then pour on the verjuice and the honey and allow to bubble up. Take off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Fold through the tomatoes, herbs, olives, lemon zest and season to taste. Add the beans and mix to combine. Place on a shallow platter and sprinkle with extra herbs.