Italian White Bean Soup with Sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 sausages such as kabanos, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 x 400 gram tin tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400 gram tin haricot or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan
- Italian parsley to serve
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, celery, garlic, carrot, parsnip and rosemary. Sauté gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not coloured.
Increase the heat and add the paprika, sausage, tomato paste and tinned tomatoes.
Stir and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, then add the beans and vegetable stock and check for seasoning. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
To serve: Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with Italian parsley and freshly grated Parmesan.
Suggested wines to complement this recipe
Clos de Ste. Anne 2007
Saint Clair Rapaura Reserve 2007