Kumara and Carrot Latkes
- 1 pound kumara, peeled
- 1⁄2 pound carrots, peeled
- 1 small onion, cut into eighths
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 15 grindings of black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, or 1⁄2 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, or 1⁄2 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- canola or peanut oil for frying
1. Cut kumara, carrots and onion to a fine chop in a food processor or grate with the large holes on a hand grater. Set aside.
2. Add the spices, eggs and flour and mix thoroughly. Add a little more flour if mixture seems too loose and watery.
3. Heat a large skillet or griddle for 20 seconds. Add enough canola or peanut oil to totally cover the bottom of the pan. Heat oil for 10 seconds.
4. Drop 2 Tablespoons of kumara-carrot mix in to the hot pan for each latke.
5. When bottoms of pancakes are golden, gently turn them over using a slotted spatula and another utensil. When golden on the second side remove to a plate that is covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
6. Proceed with the remaining mixture. Stir contents of bowl every time before you scoop some of the mixture.
Serve plain or with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.