Miso glazed eggplant
- 2 Tbsp sake
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp miso
Combine these four ingredients together.
- 3 Japanese long thin eggplants
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds (roasted/toasted)
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and score the cut sides in a crisscross pattern. This will help the eggplant absorb more flavours. Place the eggplants (skin side down) on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet. With a brush, apply vegetable oil on top and bottom of the eggplants.
- Bake at 200C for 30 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender. Transfer the baking sheet to the working surface. Adjust a rack 6-inches from the heat element and preheat grill for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile carefully spoon some of the miso glaze onto your eggplants and spread evenly. Grill for 3-4 minutes, or until the top has nice char and caramelisation.
- Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
This is a great side dish which pairs well with steak and a green salad.