NoNut/PeaNot Satay sauce
A few summers ago I went to visit a very good friend of ours in Denmark. She loves my peanut sauce but has not been able to have any at home as her daughter is allergic to peanuts. Since then I have notice more and more people who are allergic to peanuts too. So I thought I would make peanut sauce without peanuts. And so Nonut sauce was born.
I have replaced peanuts with red lentils and it works so well with the flavor of the curry paste and coconut milk. It is very much like a dhal. I also use Panang curry paste for this recipe as I think it works better. Like peanut sauce this Nonut sauce is delicious with anything and everything and if you are using vegetarian curry paste then it is also suitable for vegetarians.
Cooking time: 25 Mins
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Penang curry paste
- 1 400g can coconut milk, don't shake the can
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- 15g palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 100g red lentils, washed
- 1 pinch of salt
1. Firstly fry the chopped onion in a small amount of oil till soft but not brown. Then add in curry paste and gently fry the curry paste till soft and fragrant.
2. Now add a bit of coconut milk at a time (using the thicker part first) Once you have added in all the coconut milk add the vegetable stock, palm sugar (or soft brown sugar) and a pinch of salt. Simmer and taste that it is to your liking, adjust as required.
3. Once you're happy with the flavour add in the red lentil and bring to the boil then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Served with satay, pour over chips or just simply with crusty bread.