Pea and Potato Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely diced pancetta
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 medium sized floury potatoes, peeled and diced 2cm
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Italian parmesan for serving
Heat the oil over moderate heat in a large saucepan and add the garlic and onion. Fry gently without browning for about 10 minutes until the onion is soft.
Add the zest, potatoes, stock and water and bring to the boil.
Simmer 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are well cooked.
Add the peas, bring back to the boil and simmer five minutes.
Remove from the heat, mash the potatoes and peas slightly with a potato masher, just to squash some of them a bit.
Taste, season and serve with parmesan sprinkled on top and crusty bread on the side.
John Hawkesby's wine suggestion
- Lawsons Dry Hills 2008
- Jackson Estate Grey Ghost 2007
- Paritua 2007