Pork and Rice Noodle Salad
(Serves 4 - 6)
- 2 pork fillets, (about 200g each), all fat and sinew removed, sprinkled with fish sauce and a little soy oil and left to marinate for 2 hours
- 2 seeded red chillis, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons pounded or finely grated palm sugar
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 200g Thai rice noodle sticks, dropped into boiling water for 4 minutes, drained and rinsed under cold water until cold
- ½ cucumber, peeled, split in half lengthways and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into chunks
- ½ cup fried shallots (these are available from Asian food shops)
- basil and coriander leaves for garnish
Barbecue or panfry the pork over moderate heat until well browned and cooked through. Rest 5 minutes and slice thinly.
While the pork is cooking, mix the chillis, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar together until the sugar has dissolved. Taste and adjust the sweet, salty, sour and hot flavours to your liking. Stir in the red onions and set aside 10 minutes.
Put the cold noodles into a wide, shallow serving bowl.
Pile the sliced pork on top and sprinkle the red onion mixture evenly over everything.
Sprinkle the cucumber, tomatoes, and pineapple on top.
Scatter the fried shallots and plenty of basil and coriander leaves on top and serve.
Suggested wines to complement this recipe
Villa Maria Cellar Selection 2007