Potato Fritters with Truffles
- 3 medium Agria potatoes (500gms) peeled and cut into quarters
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3 whole eggs whisked to soft peaks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 - 3 tbsp cream
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- 100 gms butter for cooking the beignets
- 2 whole fresh truffles about ½ per person (optional)
Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender. Drain well and return to the saucepan. Add the milk and mash the potatoes.
Pass the potato through a fine sieve or through a mouli to remove any lumps. Stir in the cornflour with a wooden spoon.
Add the whole eggs, one at a time. Fold in the egg whites.
Add the cream a little at a time till the mixture thickens.
Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a little butter in a heavy base skillet or pan, spoon in small amounts and place a slice of truffle in the middle of each beignet.
The beignets cook quickly so be careful not to let them dry out.
Continue making 6 to 8 at a time.