Pumpkin Soup with Cider
Recipe by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 knob butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 250ml off-dry apple cider
- 500ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- 50ml cream (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Sweat the onion gently for a few minutes.
Add the cubed pumpkin to the onion with the garlic, and sweat, stirring a few times, for 5-10 minutes.
Pour in the cider and stock, add the thyme sprig, bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft.
Remove the thyme, then liquidise the soup.
Stir in the cream (if using) and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Serve sprinkled with croutons, bits of crisp bacon or some little cubes of fried apple.