Rustic Bread and Mushroom Salad
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 250 grams button mushrooms
- 100 grams other mushrooms, eg. shiitake, phoenix mushrooms
- 30 grams Pecorino cheese
- juice of ½ lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
Toast the ciabatta on a barbecue or a ridged grill until golden brown.
Rub the bread on both sides with the cut side of the garlic clove and break it into rough chunks.
Place the bread in a shallow serving platter and drizzle with olive oil.
Wipe the mushrooms clean with damp paper towels and trim the stems.
Thinly slice them (a mandolin is useful here) and place in a bowl.
Shave the Pecorino into paper-thin slices with a vegetable peeler and add to the mushrooms.
Season the mushrooms and cheese with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and chopped parsley.
Toss gently until the mushrooms soften slightly. Transfer to the platter and toss with the bread.
Suggested wines to compliment this recipe
Nanny Goat 2005
Camshorn - Waipara 2004
Jackson Estate 2005 Vintage Widow
Lime Rock 2004