Rustic Broad Bean Puree
(Serves 10-12 as a snack)
- 450 grams broad beans, peeled
- 1 fennel bulb, washed and sliced, tops reserved
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot or ¼ onion, finely sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- sea salt
Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and add the onion. Cook over a low heat until it starts to soften. Add the fennel and continue cooking until both are very tender – this will take 10 or 15 minutes. Add the garlic and a few of the fennel tops, chopped.
Add the broad beans and ¼ cup of water.
Cook over a low heat until the beans are soft. Season and remove from the heat. Blend briefly to a coarse purée.
Serve piled onto grilled bread that has been rubbed with a cut clove of garlic and drizzled with good olive oil.