Sanjay's Mum's Crab Curry
SANJAY'S MUMS CRAB CURRY
1.8kg cleaned crabs (approximately 10 crabs)
150ml sunflower oil
15g fenugreek seeds
10g mustard seeds
6 curry leaf stems
450g onions - fine dice
150g ginger - minced
6 coriander roots - scrapped & finely chopped
1 green chilli - finely chopped, with seeds
25g coriander - ground
10g cumin - ground
15g garam masala
5g turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
160g tamarind pulp soaked in 200ml hot water and strained
1kg fresh ripe tomatoes - skins removed and pureed or 2 tins tomato puree
A little salt, milled black pepper & coconut sugar to taste
1. In a large pot, heat oil and add Tempering, cook until fragrant.
2. Add onions, ginger, coriander root and green chilli. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add remaining spices & stir for a minute or so. Add the crab, stir gently but well, then cover and steam for several minutes.
4. Add tamarind liquid and tomato puree and season with salt, black pepper and coconut sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes
5. Sprinkle the cooked cab curry with some fresh coriander leave and a light sprinkling of some more garam masala. Serve with steamed rice and enjoy.