This recipe is a complete meal in itself, ideal for feeding the entire flat. A tasty and nutritious way to enjoy sausages that haven't been cooked on the bbq or under the grill. Technically speaking it's a crustless pie or quiche. Any type of sausages can be used, by frying them first will give a better flavour.
- 4 Tbsp rice bran oil
- 4 sausages or frankfurters
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 5 eggs
- 3 courgettes grated
- 1 cup tasty cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped herbs (any combination of parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme) or 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ cup self raising flour
- salt & pepper
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large fry pan, cook sausages until browned. Remove, allow to cool then chop into chunks.
2. Add remaining oil to the pan and cook onion gently without colour for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sausages.
3. In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs, add courgette, cheese, herbs, flour and season.
4. Spread mix evenly over sausages and onions.
5. Sprinkle over an extra half cup of grated cheese then bake at 180C for 35 - 40 minutes.