Smoked Fish Pies
(To make 6 pies)
- 600g Bechamel Sauce (or enough to generously half fill each pie tin)
- 120g hot smoked salmon or other fish
- 6 tablespoons Vegetable Mixture (as below)
- 12 spinach leaves (2 per pie)
- squeeze of lemon juice
- whisked egg yolk or milk to glaze pastry lid
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Place the oil in a small pot. Add the diced carrot and onion. Season with salt.
- Cover with a lid and cook until translucent – 4 to 5 minutes. Cool.
- The vegetables should be just firm but not soggy as they will cook again inside the pie.
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Prepare the pastry tins.
- In a bowl, place the bechamel and vegetable mixture.
- Add smoked fish – break it up with your fingers. Squeeze of lemon. Stir. Season for taste.
- Spoon the pie mix into each pie tin. Press the spinach leaves on top.
- Cover with pastry lid. Glaze with egg or milk. Stab the lid to make air holes.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.