Speedy Fish Bake
Speedy Fish Bake - fish in the oven with crumbed topping – is a fantastic success for all, even those who are not sure where the oven is. Serve with new potatoes or oven chips and a leafy green salad and dressing.
- 6 – 8 fillets of firm white fish (terakihi, gurnard, monkfish, ling)
- 2 Tbsp cream, or evaporated milk, or creme fraiche
- 1 preserved lemon, diced
- OR 1 large tomato, seeded and flesh diced
- OR 8 cooked, shelled and chopped prawns
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 thick slices bread
- 2 – 3 tsp lemon zest
- 2 – 4 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- olive oil
Heat oven to 180°C.
Place fish in a shallow oven dish not much larger than the fillets. Cover with cream or milk or crème fraiche. Put breadcrumbs, zest, and herbs in food processor and whiz to coarse crumbs (or crumble and mix with hands).
Spread the topping over the fish. Sprinkle olive oil in zigzags over the crumbs. Put in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Thicker fish fillets will require the longer cooking time. You could cook a handful of oven chips at the same time and have a fish and chip night.
Suggested wines to complement this recipe
Villa Maria Cellar Selection Hawkes Bay 2007
Church Road Cuve 2006