- Food and wine
- Yuletide festive ideas with Catherine Bell from Dish magazine and John Hawkesby our roving wine expert. (duration: 14′39″)
- Download: Ogg Vorbis MP3
- 600 mls white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- rind of 1 orange or 1 lemon, finely peeled
- 225 grams light brown sugar
- 3 cloves
- 1 - 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in pieces
- 450 grams ripe cherries, unpitted
Put the vinegar into a saucepan with the orange or lemon peel, the sugar, cloves and cinnamon. Bring to the boil and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool.
Wash and dry the cherries, and trim the stalks to about 1 cm. Put them into a sterilized glass preserving jar and pour over the cooled vinegar and spices. Seal and set aside for at least two weeks before using.
Serve as an accompaniment to Christmas ham or turkey or with other cold meats, terrines or rillettes.
John Hawkesby’s wine suggestion
Wild Rock Sur Lie 2008