Stuffed Capsicums with Rice and Goats Cheese
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup pinenuts
- ½ cup currants
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon toasted coriander seeds
- 1 cup cooked long grain white rice
- 150g crumbled goat’s feta or chevre salade
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 red capsicums, halved, cored and seeded
- 400g can Italian crushed tomatoes
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup white wine
- chopped flat leafed parsley for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat in a frying pan and add the garlic, onion, pinenuts, currants, cinnamon and coriander seeds. Fry gently without browning until the onion is soft. Remove from the heat, put the mixture into a mixing bowl and cool. Stir in the rice and cheese but do not mash the cheese. Taste and season.
Place the capsicums, cut side up in a roasting pan just big enough to hold them. Fill each capsicum with some of the rice mixture.
Mix the remaining oil, the tomatoes, zest, sugar and wine and pour this around the capsicums. Cover and place in the oven for 45 minutes until the capsicums are well cooked but not collapsing. Uncover and bake a further 15 minutes basting frequently with the tomato mixture in the pan. Remove from the oven and serve hot or cold sprinkled with parsley.
Suggested Wines To Go With Today's Recipe:-
Wairau River 2006
Marlborough Brancott Estate - Festival Block 2006
Villa Maria Private Bin 2006