Sweet Potato & Bean Soup
- 1 kg orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
- 1.2 ltrs boiling water or vegetable stock
- sea salt and pepper
- 400 gm can white beans (haricot or cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp good curry powder, or more
- 80 gms low-fat yoghurt
- pinch paprika
- 2 tbsp coriander or parsley leaves
Peel the sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes and put into a pan. Add the boiling water or stock, sea salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
Add half the beans and the curry powder, stirring well, then whiz in a food processor in batches, being careful not to overfill the bowl.
Return to the pan, add the remaining whole beans and heat gently. If too thick, add extra boiling water. Taste for salt, pepper and curry powder.
Ladle the soup into warm bowls. Swirl a generous dollop of yoghurt into each bowl and sprinkle with a little paprika. Scatter with coriander or parsley and serve.