- a knob of butter
- 250g aged cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp hot English mustard
- third of a cup good English ale
- as many thick slices of warm buttered toast as you want
Preheat your oven to 180°C. Rub a little butter on the bottom of an ovenproof dish that is about 15cm round and 5cm high. Place a layer of cheddar in the dish. Combine the mustards and spread a thin layer over the cheese, then splash in some ale. Repeat this process until everything is used up. Place the dish in the oven and cook until the cheese has melted and bubbles slightly around the edges. Serve straight away as a dip with plenty of hot toast and a glass of ale. Serves 4 as a nibble.