The Indonesian military says at least five workers have been killed after separatist guerrillas ambushed their vehicles in the province of Papua.
An earlier report suggested six people had been killed.
A military spokesman, Colonel Simanjuntak, says gunmen believed to be from the Free Papua Movement attacked a convoy of vehicles travelling in the remote Puncak region late on Tuesday night.
Six others workers escaped. The victims were all non-Papuan Indonesians.
Colonel Simanjuntak says the attackers have destroyed bridges leading to the area and burned down a building.
He says authorities have evacuated about 800 people from villages in the area.