29 Mar 2005

Man dies from leptospirosis in American Samoa

1:38 pm on 29 March 2005

A third person in American Samoa has died from leptospirosis in the most recent outbreak.

The 60 year old from the village of Pago Pago had regular contact with a small family piggery and plantation.

The Department of Health and the Environmental Protection Agency are warning residents to take necessary precautions to protect themselves from the disease which is caused by a bacteria spread to humans from animals such as pigs, dogs and rats.

A study conducted last year indicated that the type most prevalent in the territory was the variety associated with pigs.