23 May 2009

Vanuatu Women's council fire linked to organisation's disarray

9:59 am on 23 May 2009

The president of the Vanuatu National Council of Women says police are investigating the cause of a fire which destroyed the VNCW guest house on Sunday evening.

Manina Pakete says it is suspected that the fire began with a candle used by residents in the guest house.

Candles have been in regular use as the guest house has been running without electricity since last December due to an outstanding power bill.

Ms Pakete says the VNCW has been lacking money as a result of political moves to remove her as President after she took steps to address misappropriation of administrative funds in the Council earlier this year.