19 Apr 2012

Samoa hospital in super-bug scare

12:10 pm on 19 April 2012

Two hospital staff in Samoa are now back at work after being cleared of the super-bug, MRSA.

The National Health Service has told the public not to panic after two children died at the Tupua Tamasese Meaole hospital last month.

The children tested positive to Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus but their cause of death hasn't yet been confirmed.

Our correspondent Autagavaia Tipi Autagavaia says hospital staff have been swabbed to check if they are carrying the bug.

"It's been reported that 79 health staff have been tested. So far, according to reports two have tested positive, but they were treated and returned to normal duties as usual after being cleared."

Autagavaia Tipi Autagavaia says a clean-up of building debris in the hospital grounds surrounding the children's ward is underway as a precaution.

The US National Library of Medicine says people can get MRSA in the community with skin infections causing red, swollen and painful areas but when patients get the bug in hospital, the infection tends to be more severe.