The Police Commander of Morobe province in Papua New Guinea has appealed to the two remaining suspects in the attack on trekkers along the Black Cat Track last week to surrender for their own safety.
Four men have already been caught over the attack where two local porters were hacked to death, several foreign and local trekkers injured, and a third porter later died from his injuries.
Superintendent Leo Lamei says 74 police personnel are involved in the hunt for the men between Wau and Salamaua.
On Saturday, relatives of one of the dead porters allegedly killed a man believed to have harboured the six suspects and Mr Lamei says he is concerned angry villagers will seek further retribution.
"I am afraid of that but I have already requested to the village people that they should not take law into their hands. If the suspects are located they should swiftly hand them to police, not to injure them nor to kill them."
The Police Commander of Morobe province Leo Lamei.