Health officials in American Samoa have confirmed that a man who died from suspected chikungunya virus died from leptospirosis.
The 28-year-old man died last month and health officials sent samples for testing, concerned over the more than 600
probable cases of chikungunya.
There are nine people currently hospitalised with symptoms, but no deaths.
Leptospirosis is a disease that people catch from animals like pigs, rodents and rats.
The animals can carry the bacteria in their kidneys and pass it into the environment, contaminating soil, and water sources.