22 Jul 2015

Nauru moves to strike out MPs case

2:51 pm on 22 July 2015

The court case involving Nauru's Roland Kun is to resume next week after the Nauru government moved this morning to have it struck out.

The opposition MP is fighting to get his passport back after the government cancelled it a month ago in the wake of anti government protests.

After the government presented detailed oral submissions in court on the strike out motion, the court ordered it to provided written submissions to Mr Kun's legal representative.

Mr Kun is represented by a "pleader" as his lawyer from Australia who is in Nauru has not so far been allowed to represent him in court.

Mr Kun has been given until Friday to file his own submissions.

Nauru's Solicitor General Graham Leung asked for time to respond to those and has been given until Monday.

There have been several delays in the case over the last month and Mr Kun says he has been hampered by not having a lawyer.

He says he has been forced apart from his family in New Zealand because he has no travel document and his Australian wife has been banned from returning to Nauru.

The Nauru government has said Mr Kun is a national security risk which he denies.

Suspended Nauru MP Roland Kun with his family at home in New Zealand

Suspended Nauru MP Roland Kun with his family at home in New Zealand Photo: Supplied

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs