24 Jan 2017

American Samoa electrocution incident claims third life

7:46 am on 24 January 2017

An electrocution accident which happened over a week ago in American Samoa has claimed the life of a third person

Samoa News reports that Toese Ume of Futiga village, and a member of the local US Army Reserve, died early yesterday morning surrounded by his family, according to his mother.

He had been in a coma at the LBJ hospitals intensive care unit.

He was electrocuted when a crane touched overhead power lines while lifting beams at a construction site at the Industrial Park Tafuna.

Friends and family members of Ume took to social media yesterday with messages of condolence to his family.

Meanwhile, the US Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has opened an investigative into the industrial incident.