Sunday 4 'til 8 for Sunday 11 May 2014
4:07 The Sunday Feature: The TED Radio Hour - What is Beauty (NPR/TED)
Beauty surrounds us, draws us in, gives joy and creates conflict.
In this programme, five speakers conjure up beauty both ancient and modern, and suggest reasons why humans are hardwired to crave and respond to beauty.
- Philosopher Denis Dutton suggests that humans are hard-wired to seek beauty.
- Psychologist Nancy Etcoff joins philosopher to explain why beauty inspires and motivates us.
- Cameron Russell at Does Being Beautiful Make You Happy? Tall, pretty and an underwear model, Cameron Russell takes a wry look at the industry that had her looking highly seductive at barely 16 years old.
- Bill Strickland: Can Beauty Change A Life? A quiet and astonishing tale of redemption through arts, music and unlikely partnerships.
- Designer Richard Seymour: How Does Beauty Feel? A story, a work of art, a face, a designed object — how do we tell that something is beautiful? And why does it matter so much to us? Designer Richard Seymour explores our response to beauty and the surprising power of objects that exhibit it.
5:12 Spiritual Outlook
Our regular catch up with the world of religion, spirituality, faith and ethics – produced and presented by Justin Gregory, Lisa Thompson, Amelia Nurse and Mike Gourley alternating with series from the BBC's World Service programme, Heart and Soul.
Maori news and interviews from throughout the motu (RNZ)
6:06 Te Ahi Kaa
Exploring issues and events from a tangata whenua perspective (RNZ)
7:06 One In Five
The issues and experience of disability (RNZ)
A weekly programme that highlights Asians, Africans, indigenous Americans and more in New Zealand, aimed at promoting a greater understanding of our ethnic minority communities (RNZ)