Nine To Noon for Thursday 9 April 2009
09:05 $7 Billion price tag of social cost of alcohol and drug abuse
A new report by economists BERL, commissioned by the Health Ministry and ACC, has put a price tag on the social cost caused by harmful use of alcohol and drugs at seven billion dollars a year.
Ganesh Nana, BERL senior economist; Katie Sadlier, ACC General Manager of Injury Prevention; Gerard Vaughan, ALAC CEO; and Barbara Phillips, Ministry of Health's Group Manager of Harm Minimisation.
09:30 Confidential forum
Judge Carolyn Henwood, chair, Confidential Listening and Assistance Service.
Those who believe they've been abused or mistreated in state care are being invited to tell their stories to a new confidential service chaired by respected judge, Carolyn Henwood. She talks to Kathryn about how the service will work.
www.listening.govt.nz or phone 0800 356 567
09:45 UK correspondent Kate Adie
10:05 Everest controversy
Lord Jeffrey Archer
10:30 Children's Book Review with John McIntyre
A tribute to Douglas Keen, editorial director of Ladybird Books
Noisy Noisy Princesses published by Ladybird Books
Noisy Noisy Fart published by Ladybird Books
10:45 Book Reading: Opportunity by Charlotte Grimshaw, read by Michele Amas
(Part 2 of 2)
Sometimes it's not for years that the opportunity for revenge comes along - and is taken.
11:05 New Technology with Nat Torkington
Nat talks to Kathryn about the Internet meshing with the real world: mapping, location-based services, and more.
- TomTom (open source GPS with network connection that lets you correct the maps)
- Wireless sensor networks and feral robotic dogs (Australian Natalie Jeremijenko's feral robotic dogs that sniff out pollution)
- Agroveillance (precision agriculture, using specialist devices and omputer
mapping technology to record nitrogen content, etc. of soil on a farm for precision application and treatment)
- Ship Locations
- Darkslide, which draws from Flickr (stats: 100M geotagged photos, 1.2M in first 24h, 1 in 30 photos uploaded are geotagged)
- EveryBlock, experiment funded by Knight News Challenge grant, major US cities: police calls, traffic, food safety, graffiti cleanup requests, locations in the news ...)
11:30 Parenting with Diane Levy
Family therapist, parenting coach, speaker and author speaks to Kathryn on how and when to let your children take risks and do new things.
11:45 Week That Was with Radar and Gemma Gracewood