Warnings of an incoming tsunami of mental health issues among farmers, as drought, floods and financial pressures hit.
David Hunt, former Hawkes Bay Federated Farmers Dairy chairperson, speaks out about the depressive illness he suffered. He's concerned the coming months will see a tsunami of farmers becoming unwell, and questions whether the rural health network is up to it.
- Lifeline - 0800 543 354
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757
- Suicide Crisis Helpline - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (for people in distress, and people who are worried about someone else)
- Healthline - 0800 611 116
- Samaritans - 0800 726 666 (for callers from the Lower North Island, Christchurch and West Coast) or 04 473 9739 (for callers from all other regions)
- Youthline - 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rural Support
- depression.org.nz - includes The Journal free online self-help tool
- thelowdown.co.nz - visit the website, email email@example.com or free text 5626 (emails and text messages will be responded to between 12 noon and 12 midnight).