24 Oct 2015

Hotel evacuated over mini-fridge leak

8:14 am on 24 October 2015

A late-night evacuation of guests at the Crowne Plaza hotel in Auckland has been put down to a chemical leak from a mini fridge.

Hotel staff alerted the Fire Service about 8:30pm yesterday to a gas smell on the 21st floor.

It took three hours for firefighters to locate the source of smell.

A fire service spokesperson says gas detectors were used, and found a mini fridge leaking ammonia in one of the rooms.

The 21 guests affected had to be moved to another level for the night.