10 Sep 2008

South Africans who died in cabin named

6:31 pm on 10 September 2008

Police have named the men who died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in a cabin near Raglan at the weekend.

They were Martin van Rensburg, 37, and Derek Hamilton, 50, who were living in Auckland.

Jayson Basson, 33, from Hamilton, survived and is in a stable but improving condition in North Shore Hospital.

All three were born in South Africa.

Police say Mr van Rensburg and Mr Hamilton died after apparently succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning from a charcoal barbecue used inside the cabin at the remote settlement of Ruapuke.

A coroner will rule on the actual cause of death after an inquest is held.

Mr Hamilton is survived by his wife and two daughters and Mr van Rensburg is survived by his wife.

A spokesperson for the families, Mike van Biljon, says Mr Hamilton was a fanatical sportsman and outstanding mentor. He says Mr van Rensburg was a well balanced person in all areas of life and was very sincere.

The families have asked for privacy so they can grieve.

Michael Beasley from the National Poisons Centre says survivors of carbon monoxide poisoning can experience neurological and heart problems and the long-term effects are not immediately apparent.