A major gas leak shut down one of Gisborne's main roads for over an hour and a half on Wednesday afternoon.
The Fire Service arrived at the scene at about 3.30pm and shut down a whole block in Childers Road near the city centre.
A spokesperson says equipment that was being used to test ground strength, cut through a gas line causing the leak.
People in nearby homes and businesses were warned to keep their doors closed because of the strong smell of gas and staff at a business premises evacuated voluntarily.
Contractors have completed repairs and the cordon has now been lifted.