Two men badly injured in a house explosion near Dunedin were inhaling LPG gas at the time, the Fire Service says.
The pair, aged 18 and 19, were taken to Dunedin hospital on Monday with serious burns.
The Fire Service says the men were in the house on Gordon Road in Mosgiel 'huffing' or inhaling gas from two 9kg cylinders when one exploded about 2pm, causing a fire and damage to the property.
A fire crew in the neighbourhood saw the smoke and quickly attended the scene. They narrowly escaped injury when the second cylinder exploded as they were about to enter the house.
Police are searching for a third man who was wearing a cap and seen leaving the house shortly after the first explosion.