One of three men accused of vandalising Jewish graves in Auckland claims he is the victim of a witchhunt that has smeared his name.
The men have been charged with wilful damage of the headstones at the cemetery in Symonds Street last week.
Speaking a Tuesday hearing at the Auckland District Court court hearing, Nathan Symington, 22, unemployed, denied the allegation, saying that he is not racist and that he has an alibi.
He says there is closed circuit TV footage of the attack, showing only two people carrying out the vandalism, but that it is said to have been lost.
The other defendants have successfully applied for suppression of their names and images, saying that they have received death threats and fear for their safety.
Bail conditions block them from going to synagogues, Jewish schools, and graveyards.