22 Jan 2013

Fire at community centre near Nelson

3:02 pm on 22 January 2013

A community centre near Nelson has been damaged by fire.

Twelve fire appliances attended the blaze at Moutere Hills Community Centre about 8.25am on Tuesday.

The Fire Service said the kitchen and main hall were well alight when firefighters arrived.

No-one was inside the building at the time.

Centre manager Katrina McLean says the fire destroyed the internal roof of the function room and gym and gutted the kitchen.

She said the centre would try to find other venues for a number of weddings, reunions and other events.