2 May 2013

Dog dead after eating K2

3:27 pm on 2 May 2013

A dog in Southland has died and another is seriously ill after eating the synthetic cannabis product K2.

The Veterinary Association's Companion Animal Society says it's a warning for pet owners and advises them to keep drugs and household poisons locked away.

President Catherine Watson says the effects of toxins on animals are compounded because the creatures are usually small.

The Government has banned a number of substances found in two K2 products.

By August, legislation will be in place requiring legal high manufacturers to prove their products are safe before they can be sold.